How to Make Money Blogging
The Building Blocks of Monetization
In order to successfully begin making money from your blog, there are a few steps that need to be followed. The most successful bloggers have a plan in place and have accomplished each of the following 5 building blocks. Keep reading to find out more. There are multiple ways for someone to learn how to make money blogging. A few of those ways include:
Selling your own products/services
Creating multiple streams of income
Throughout this post, you will learn the 5 building blocks to learn how to make money blogging.
Step 1: Switch to self-hosting
This goes without saying, but there are still bloggers who do not self-host. What does it mean to self-host? Simply put, self-hosting is the paid version of your blogging platform like WordPress. Your blog is set up on a server, you have a custom domain name, and you own all of the content on your blog.
However, the free versions have many disadvantages. Yes, you get to start a blog for free, but if you ever plan on selling your own products/services, or making money in any kind of capacity, you should switch to self-hosting.
Disadvantages of free hosting
- Limited customization – Limited templates/themes, and access to plug-ins
- No chance to monetize with ad programs like Google AdSense
- No control over Ad display on your blog
- It’s less professional
- Less chance for SEO
- You do not own the content on your blog
Step 2: Establish a blog plan
You will not make it very far without having a secure blog plan in place. One of the first steps to running a business is having a plan. If you are looking to run your blog like a business and you want to know how to make money blogging, then you need to have a set plan in place.
A blog plan is just as important as a social media plan because social media will not be your only means of traffic.
Having a blog plan consists of having:
- An ideal target audience
- A summary of what your blog is about/blog identity
- A weekly, monthly, or quarterly content schedule
- A strategy for growth/traffic
- A system for tracking metrics (the success of your blog)
- A plan for SEO
Step 3: Establish a social media plan
Step 2: Establish a blog plan
The #1 question people ask when it comes to social media is, “how do I get more followers?” However, that is not the only question that should be asked. Also, ask yourself these questions:
1. What does my feed look like? Is it cohesive, easy on the eyes, and engaging?
2. What does my engagement look like? Am I responding to comments in a timely manner? Do I comment and like other peoples photos? Am I utilizing every feature the app has to offer?
3. What am I promoting and how can I do it more effectively?
4. Am I posting at optimal times?
Whether you are selling a physical product or a digital product, you have to have SOMEONE willing to trust you enough to give you their money.
There are many ways that you can grow a community and establish trust.
- stay active & consistent on social media
- boost your press so that you become an expert in your field
- create a Facebook fan page or private group
- host weekly or monthly Twitter Chats
- post on Youtube
- etc. etc. etc.
The options are endless. What is going to fit best with your audience, and what can you do to build that community?
Step 5: Learn the basics of digital marketing
If you want to learn how to make money blogging, then you need to know the basics of marketing. Social and digital media marketing is what sets those who make a few hundred dollars from a product or service apart from those who are making thousands of dollars from a product or service.
If you do not know your audience, then you will not be able to effectively sell to them.
[Tweet “If you do not know your audience, then you will not be able to effectively sell to them. “]
Digital marketing includes social media marketing, content marketing, analytical marketing, email marketing, and more.
It involves knowing what your customers want before they even tell you.
You will know their demographics, their interests, their buying habits, and in some cases, where they live. You do not need to be a marketing guru, but you need to have good foundational knowledge, in order to sell your product/services.
Keep in mind, the way you go about monetizing your blog will look different than the next person. If you follow these 5 building blocks to learn how to make money blogging, you will set yourself up on a path to success. However, that path will consist of determination, effort, and hard work. Those who are willing to put in the work, are sure to see results!