the blog

Welcome to

How to Master Pinterest for Beginners

How to Master Pinterest for Beginners

This post contains affiliate links. I will receive a credit for each referral that upgrades from a free subscription to a paid subscription.

I’ve been on Pinterest since 2011. Up until a few months ago, I thought Pinterest was simply a social media site for me to get fashion, home, and food inspiration. While that may still be true for myself and for others, Pinterest is MUCH more than that. Pinterest has a smart algorithm, is the secret spot for SEO, and is the #1 source of traffic to my blog! Want to know what’s even more interesting? I went from 1,232 viewers to 52,553 viewers in ONE MONTH! How did I do that? Keep reading to find out how to master Pinterest for beginners.

Many bloggers are aware that there are secrets to Pinterest that will help them create viral pins. However, for some, it still seems to be a mystery. In just a few steps, you too will be able to master Pinterest and skyrocket your views.

Pinterest for beginners

Pinterest for beginners

Start Here

Whether you already have a Pinterest account or not, you can get started with just a few easy steps.

The first thing you need to do if you haven’t already is to switch your personal Pinterest account to a Pinterest business account. The benefits of having a Pinterest business account include having access to:

• Pinterest analytics
  • Rich Pins
  • Promoted Pins

In order to switch your Pinterest account to a business account, you need to follow these steps

1. Log-in to your Pinterest account
  2. Go to business.pinterest.com. Once there, click, “convert your existing account.”
  3. If you are a blogger, your business type will be “Professional.”
  4. Fill out or update your profile information.
  5. Accept terms and click “convert account.”

What’s next? Now that you have your Pinterest business account set up, it’s time to set up your rich pins.

Rich Pins

Pinterest for Beginners

What are rich pins?

Rich pins are Pinterest pins that have your name and icon displayed under pin images. It helps direct the pins back to your website! It is an easy 3-step process for WordPress sites.

1. Install the “Yoast” SEO Plugin. The Yoast plugin adds certain meta tags for you that Pinterest requires. Go to the Yoast “features” tab. Make sure the “advanced settings pages” is enabled.
  2. Visit the “Rich Pin” Validator. Go to Pinterest rich pin validator and plug in the link to any blog post on your site. Validate it.
  3. Apply! After it validates, it should say “your pin’s been validated.” Click, “apply now.” You will then see another window asking you to apply again. Click it, and you are good to go.

pinterest for beginners

Create Pins

There are many different ways to get creative and create pins. Here are a few tips to remember when creating pins:

• Create tall, vertical images. The preferred image aspect ratio is 2:3 to 1:3.5. The minimum width of a pin is 600 pixels and the maximum is 735 pixels. (I use 735 pixels x 1000 pixels.)
  • Use high-resolution, professional-quality photos.
  • Do not include too much text. Incorporate the text into the image and use overlays.
  • Make sure your text is easy to read on mobile.

Join Group Boards

Group boards are beneficial because they help give your pins more exposure and more traffic to your website.

The way they work is simple. When you become a contributor to a group board, you, as well as anyone else who follows the board will see every pin that is added. For example, if the owner of the group board has 10K followers on Pinterest, and YOU pin to their group board, those 10K followers will also see your pin.

However, you cannot simply click a button and you’re a part of the group board. *womp womp.*

You have to ask the owner of the group board to join. Normally, there will be directions in the board description. Most of the time, it involves following the board owner on Pinterest, repining their images, and then messaging them to let them know you completed the task. The first profile picture shown is the owner of the group board.

There are multiple ways to find a group board. You can either use sites like Pin Groupie or find your favorite bloggers on Pinterest. If they belong to any group boards, take a look at them and see if they would also be a good fit for you. If you are members of Facebook groups, ask the group if they have any suggestions for group boards within your niche.

Pinterest for beginners

Use Third-Party Apps

I use Tailwind and Boardbooster in conjunction with each other, because they both offer features that the other platform does not have. Tailwind gives me control over exactly what I am pinning and when. Their analytics are a lot more in depth than Boardbooster. However, Boardbooster does ALL of the legwork for me when I do not have spare time.

Tailwind

Tailwind is a Pinterest scheduling app that does a lot more than just scheduling pins. It is a Pinterest marketing tool that is perfect for helping guide Pinterest for beginners.

When you sign up for Tailwind and connect your Pinterest account, you will then be able to schedule all of your pins to separate boards simultaneously, join tailwind tribes (which are much like group boards), and view your Pinterest analytics.

Get your first month free here.

I currently pay $15/month.

The trick that I use to fill up my time slots is to find a favorite board from someone else, and schedule those pins. I would recommend setting aside an hour a month and schedule your pins for the entire month. The standard amount of slots are 4-5 pins per day. Once your free trial is over, you will be able to schedule more pins.

Ready to get started?

Included to help you dominate your 2018 on Pinterest, I have included a free mini “Perfect Pinterest Planner!”

The planner includes:

• The Anatomy of a Perfect Pin
  • Pinterest Prepared Checklist
  • Pinterest Stats Tracking Sheet
  • Content Planner
  • Perfect Pinterest Tips

Download it below

[mailerlite_form form_id=9]

1. Ive been doing alot of this, but need to bump it up. I need to clean up my board booster and get back on tailwind (I let my free trial expire DOH!)

2. Caitlin says:

Wow! love this post! It’s so helpful. I will have to try all of these helpful tips. Iv been meaning to up my pinterest game but for some reason I feel lost in it. This post really helps, thanks!

3. Rachel says:

Great tips! I’ll have to give Tailwind and BoardBooster a try!! Thanks for the help!

4. Ally says:

Such great tips! Pinterest is such a great tool for bloggers!! Board Booster is also my favorite because it handles so much work!

5. Kiarna Jayne says:

This is great! I never knew how to make a Rich Pin so thank you for this! Pinterest is amazing for traffic!

6. Myisha says:

This is so helpful and full of details. I still can’t get pinterest but I am going to try and do better this year. I’m sure I will come back to revisit this post when doing so.

7. D. Sanders says:

This is so helpful! I really need to focus on Pinterest for my blog!

8. Lachelle says:

Thanks so much! I just applied for rich pins and was approved! I was intimidated but it was actually not a hard process. I’m glad I did it. I’m ready to starting pinning my blog posts. My Pinterest plan is going to be try and find a board to join first. Then using a 3rd party app like tailwind.

9. Kara says:

I’ve heard of Tailwind. I need to give it a try! Thanks for all the good tips!!!

10. Anna says:

This is very useful and simply explained. Thank you

11. Jamar Diggs says:

This was really helpful. I had no idea about BoardBooster. If definitely need to check it out!

12. I loved this article! I will definitely be referencing back to it and reading other posts on your blog as well.

13. Taylor says:

Great tips! Especially the “looping.” I didn’t know that was a thing!

14. Alexandra says:

This post is a very practical “how to” for beginners. Wish I’d seen something like it when I started out. I researched everything. 🙁

15. Teeara says:

This post was extremely helpful love it! I will be building my Pinterest account today!

16. Thanks for sharing these tips. This post was definitely informative!

17. Omg, I had no idea Pinterest could do this. Thank you so Much for these tips.

18. Asia says:

Yasssss Brittany I swear you wrote this post just for me. I’m struggling with Pinterest right now so I def needed this. I love your blog btw Really Cute.

19. hadassah says:

thanks for the info, going to try and get into using pintrest again! i just coverted my account.

20. Danielle says:

Awesome Post!! I’m a novice at pinterest and have been struggling to really gain my footing in terms of traffic but this made everything really clear for me. Thank you!!

21. Simone says:

Great post ! I love to navigate through Pinterest but I can admit I am not active on my own . This post was super helpful. I never realized how much really goes into a great Pinterest account and how rewarding it could be . Thanks so much !

22. This is exactly what i needed to see! I am really trying to grow my blog, but haven’t mastered Pinterest yet. I will have to use your tips. They sound great. Happy 2018.

23. Nita says:

Thanks for your tips! I really have to get better at using pinterest, I think I’m just not consistent most days, but after reading your post, there is alot more I can do!

24. Group boards are so important! I wish people would utilize them more!

25. Maya says:

Great tips. I am definitely working more on my Pinterest lately since I have heard how beneficial it can be!

Maya@ http://www.poweredcrowd.com

26. Terrah says:

Feel in love with this blog instantly and subscribed.

27. Maddie says:

Thank you for this!! This is the most concise blog post I’ve read about pinterest, I have a hard time figuring out how to utilize pinterest to the best of my ability, and this will help so much!!

Maddie | http://tigerlilydiary.wordpress.com

28. Terrilynn says:

Thanks for the tips!

29. Jenny says:

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

30. Yissel says:

This is all very useful information. Good post.

31. Jennifer says:

Very helpful! I did not know about the Rich Pins thing! Pinning this and opted in for your emails. ☺️ Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

32. Thank you so much for this! I haven’t fully utilized Pinterest to gain traffic back to my blog despite I have huge followers on Pinterest. This year I’m gonna make Pinterest awesome 😀 Thank you again!

33. Jami says:

Thank you so much for this! One question- will my icon show up after the pin has been approved? I took a post that I already have pinned and it didn’t change the picture to my icon. Just wondering!

34. Habiba Bien says:

Love your blog it’s so glamorous. You are fabulous. this is so informative I’m the one who left a comment in fb.

35. Ayla says: